tiistai 2. joulukuuta 2008

First impressions on the downtown area, life in general and my exciting first day at work!

Hi.

My first days here were a bit of a shock, in every way. The house rules seemed too much, the weather was unbearable (although I'd gotten used to it back in Finland), and the overall vibe was just not there. Luckily my housemate Pia took me under her wing immediately, and took me to see a movie, which later turned out to be a total chick flick. Anyway it was really cool of her to kinda show me around the transit system a bit, and also introduce me to some of her school friends later at the pub. They all seemed really nice, like everybody here. Must be something in the tap water..

Speaking about the trip to the pub, I almost got lost on my way back to North Van. I took the wrong turn, and missed the last seabus of the night. I walked back to the pub to find my other housemate, Jorge, but couldn't see him anywhere. I almost panicked, but luckily, being the cool cat that I am, decided not to. Instead I calmly walked further downtown in search of that night bus that I'd heard so much about, but hadn't seen it with my own eyes. After a bit of wandering around and waiting for it at a random bus stop, I decided it was time to panic. I didn't show it to anyone though, since IT'S A GODDAMN JUNGLE OUT THERE - A REAL DOG EAT DOG SITUATION!! Not really, but I just liked saying that. After a tedious wait that seemed to last forever but was actually something like 5 minutes, a taxi just stopped right in front of me. I swear I could hear the angel choir singing when the driver popped the front window down and asked me in the coolest of Asian accents - "whichhwayyougoin??" I wanted to kiss that little Asian man right then and there, but decided that maybe I'd save that for a later date. So to sum it all up, I got home safely. Thank god for Asian cabbies!

Today was my first day at Pro.Net. I went in prepared, and you can only imagine my feelings when the boss arrived and said that he can't stay, since the other boss, his brother, is having a baby (his wife was doing the actual having, but anyway), and he must go to the hospital to be with them. He said that I should sit tight, and just wait for a bit, that he'd be back soon and he'd tell me of my duties. I waited, and waited, and chatted to the one person who's keeping me sane during the days (more on that later) on Facebook, and then waited a bit more. The boss finally came back in, only to tell me that he has to see a client, and would talk to me more tomorrow :D THANKS! Anyway, I sat through the rest of the day chatting with Henna and the other dudes at work, and at four o'clock left for the orientation meeting over at InterneX. I waited in their office for about half an hour, and then had the orientation with a dude named Houtan. Houtan seemed really cool and supportive, again I blame the water or something. Anyway, hopefully the business will pick up tomorrow, and I get to do some actual graphics designing.

I have to say THANK YOU to Henna for chatting with me during the days, while screwing up her sleeping pattern at the same time. She's really kept me sane and helped me keep the home sickness to a minimum. She's the best.

I should probably get some rest now after the hard days work, so laterzzz

- Miika -

3 kommenttia:

Tapio F. kirjoitti...

Or then it's just the fact that almost anywhere in the world - people are more helpful and way different than they're in Finland - in general.

Obviously, it doesn't apply to everyone, but every time I've been meeting foreigners, spending time with them, and so on, I've felt so much more comfortable with their attitudes than with most of finns.

Maybe it's actually something in finnish tap water? :P They say it's one of the best waters in the world, but maybe we should re-consider that.

Sounds like you're having a great time there. I find this blog very enjoyable to read, so I will keep checking daily. :)

Tapio F. kirjoitti...

Oh, I forgot to ask, how's the beer over there? I'm sure you've already had Molson or two. ;)

Miika kirjoitti...

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, I've noticed that maybe the people around the world aren't the weird ones, maybe it's us Finns. I will continue with my investigations of the foreigners' behaviour, and will report back when I've collected all the data I need.

And sorry to dissappoint you, but I haven't tasted the local beer yet. Maybe I should though, since I may never have the chance again! ..what a great excuse :D